WHO WE ARE
"Our mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running."
The 24-lesson Girls on the Run curriculum combines training for a 5k (3.1 miles) running event with lessons that inspire girls to become independent thinkers, enhance their problem solving skills and make healthy decisions. All of this is accomplished through an active collaboration with girls and their parents, schools, volunteers, staff, and the community.
Girls on the Run is an Independent Council of Girls on the Run International, which has a network of 200+ locations across the United States and Canada.
Girls on the Run® is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
WHAT WE DO
Each meeting is structured as follows:
- Session begins with a "getting on board" and "warm-up" activity that brings the girls' focus on the day's topic.
- The warm-up is followed by a stretching routine that allows for topic related question and answer time.
- During the workout period the girls participate in a variety of running activities that utilize a game or team goal.
- Cool down stretching is then combined with participant question and answer.
- Sessions close with positive words regarding individual and group behavior.
The curriculum encompasses the following 3 concepts:
- Weeks 1 to 4: Self-Care, Self-Awareness, Knowing Self
- Weeks 5 to 8: Correctedness: Selecting Healthy Relationships and Keeping Them Healthy
- Weeks 9 to 12: Empowerment: Celebrating and Sharing Our Strengths
Meeting twice a week in small teams of 8-15 girls, we teach life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons and running games. The 24-lesson curriculum is taught by certified Girls on the Run coaches and includes three parts:
- Understanding ourselves
- Valuing relationships and teamwork
- Understanding how we connect with and shape the world at large
Running is used to inspire and motivate girls, encourage lifelong health and fitness, and build confidence through accomplishment. At each season's conclusion, the girls and their running buddies, complete a 5k running event. Completing a 5k gives the girls a tangible sense of achievement as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. The result—making the seemingly impossible, possible and teaching girls that they can.
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
We envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
OUR CORE VALUES
Girls on the Run honors its core values. We strive to:
1. Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making.
2. Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness.
3. Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions.
4. Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health.
5. Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent.
6. Stand up for ourselves and others.